User Review( votes)
Should We Keep Our Burglars in the Dark?
I pondered the odd, far-fetched notion of the security salesman for a moment, while I looked outside at the windows in back. I imagined the number of convenient hiding places the darkness of night provides for burglars. Three conclusions about the salesman’s advice became rather obvious:
- This guy is full of the stuff a burglar would step in if there were horses in my backyard.
- If I were a burglar who feared the dark, I’d probably have a flashlight with me.
- If I needed generous amounts of light to break into a door or window, why would I be doing it at night in the first place?
If for some strange reason you still believe a burglar prefers a blazing, bright spotlight glaring upon his back as he attempts to break-in through your windows at night, you might consider what a security light means to other types of intruders.
Solar or Electric Lights?
Advantages and Disadvantages of Solar Powered Security Lighting
- Convenience. No electrical wiring required. Easy to install.
- Saves Energy. Since they are powered by the sun, saves on the environment and your utilities bill.
- Looks and Appearance: No cords means clean looks and installation.
- Versatility. Can be placed anywhere the sun shines.
- Initial Cost. Solar products are more expensive than electrical
- Requires solar energy and needs to be installed where it is exposed to generous amounts of sun.
- Solar Security lights are generally not as bright as electric lighting
- Solar panels lose energy over time and are more susceptible to the weather elements and wear and tear.
Do You See The Light?
A solar powered security light doesn’t have to be the one and only outdoor lighting solution for your home, but they certainly are welcome in areas that lack convenient power outlets and other locations where you cannot bury or hide cabling. What prompted me to write this article was the success and good luck I’ve had with landscape lighting and solar motion lighting in both the front and back yard of my home. Solar Lighting has made it possible for me to make household improvements I would otherwise not attempt without an electrician or at the very least; a brave or possibly drunk relative who owes you a favor.
LED Security Light
This Solar Powered Security LED Light deserves strong consideration for two reasons:
- Extremely Low Cost
- Small, portable yet very bright LED Lights
Batteries last for 2-3 years and are easily replaced. The LED lights are nice and bright and are advertised to last for 10 years! This is the perfect light solution to put around windows, patio, garden, pathways, etc… For $25 or less, you will get your money’s worth from these right away. Comes with 16 foot cord so you can position the solar panel just about anywhere.
Give Me a Brighter Light
Find one that literally looks like a car headlight beam is shining down upon you. Great way to light up an entry way or patio.
Need to Light a Larger Area?
Some are more reminiscent of the very bright, common electrical security lights, this one will light up a whole section of the house as soon as motion is detected. They come with dual lights which are perfect for mounting along dark corners or even along wide, straight areas of the property. Also, has long cable and replaceable battery packs as options.
Do you have a garage without light or dark basement or closet? Solar lights will not work for areas that do not receive the energy from the sun. However, other, battery powered units are perfect for those situations.